Hummus is a staple food in my house.
You can personalize your hummus by adding a myriad of bonus flavors like roasted red pepper or chili-spiked pine nuts.
Cumin, the highlight spice of this recipe promotes better digestion and boosts your immunity (among other things).
Top it with microgreens to add a super-nutrient dense texture factor. Plus there's nothing like eating sh*t you've grown yourself :)
If you follow me on Instagram you already know I'm totally into microgreens.
Microgreens are so fantastic because you can grow them indoors, anywhere, anytime.
I live in Michigan where it's cold AF most of the year. Our growing season is *yay* big (like almost non-existent) and I've been able to easily grow microgreens.
What are microgreens and what makes them so great?
Microgreens are little tiny baby versions of full-grown leafy greens you buy at the store, and they're great because they're super-duper nutrient-dense for their size. They are different from sprouts in that they require soil, light, and water to grow.
According to research done by the USDA, microgreens are MORE nutrient-dense than the mature version of the same plant (source).
In other words in a smaller amount/volume you get more nutrients. I'm in. you? I thought so!
3 reasons why I LOVE microgreens beside the obvious nutritional benefits.
- You can grow microgreens using (sterile) seed starting soil or a hemp fiber pad. I prefer soil. Nothing really grounds me like putting my hands in the dirt. It's good grounding medicine for my soul. And better yet I get to do so in the comfort of my living room.
- I don't have a green thumb, I more dream of having one. Thankfully, growing microgreens doesn't require one. Seriously, with a little love and minimal daily maintenance, microgreens are easy to grow. Plus it's fun! Talk about win-win.
- Food security. It's a real thing. Microgreens are ready to harvest within 1-2 weeks and the supplies/resources required to grow them is minimal. With nuclear tensions at an all time high, a family to feed, and a greater understanding of the abundance of foods available with little to zero nutritional value, microgreens hit the sweet spot.
How YOU can get started:
- Select seed type to grow (nonGMO leafy greens, herbs + lettuce varieties encouraged)
- Find shallow container in your kitchen (experiment with things you have lying around)
- Drill holes for drainage (if needed)
- Set up drain mat to catch excess water
- Fill with sterile seed starter soil or hemp fiber mat
- Cover soil surface evenly seed (do no cover seeds with soil)
- Spray seeds generously with water (I used a water bottle sprayer)
- Cover container with plastic wrap or alternative clear cover
// spray your seedlings with water each day
// remove plastic cover only after seeds fully germinate (takes several days, varieties differ)
// harvest 7-14 days after planting before immature plant begins to mature
A quick search on Amazon for "microgreen seeds" offers a great variety. Pick your preference.
How to Harvest:
- It's time to harvest once you see growth with a few leaves and the seed covering split open, no longer in use
- To harvest simply use scissors to cut the microgreens as close to the soil as possible
- Handle with care, they are delicate!
- Rinse well
- Spin or gently pat dry
They are now ready for immediate use and/or storage.
Recommended method for storing your microgreens.
"All harvested greens will last longer if stored properly. Keep microgreens between damp paper towels, and make sure they are cold and covered in a resealable bag or container. Wrapped this way, they’ll last in the fridge for about a week.
Keep greens covered right up until they hit the plate—this will ensure that they don’t wilt or dry out during service."—(ChefSteps)
- After harvest you can immediately start another round of microgreens, ensuring you always have a fresh supply
- Experiment with different varieties and taste preferences
- Link Love: Book Recommendation // take your exploration further with this book
When my middle child was a toddler, she'd look at me with her squishy marshmallow cheeks and refer to vitamins as "voodamins".
I've never forgotten that. After all, it has a sweet, quirky roll off the tongue kinda feel to it.
Voodamins is so much more than a creative project. Yes, it's an expansion of my healing work which highlights fun, doable, affordable ways to bring more health and wellness into your life. But it's more than that.
If I'm writing or teaching about it, then it also has an element that anchors the soul/spirit.
I've been super transparent about being highly sensitive, intuitive, and (at times) hyper-empathic. Only now am I starting to share my experience with chronic illness.
Because without health we have nothing.
It's taken me time to understand the truth of my own story. That said I am never a victim. I have always hunted down my medicine, integrated it and then brought it to others. I’m ready to start sharing the new updated/integrated version of my work. Thanks for being here.
1. Why should I work with the toroidal field?
You are a multidimensional being, the sum total of:
- the nurturing you've received from individuals, family (blood & chosen), and your community
- voids resulting from trauma, neglect, abuse, abandonment, dysfunction, violence, and personal rejection
- the influence of the dominant culture and it's unique positioning to your self-identity
- intimate relationships and friendships which provide intimacy and connection
The Mental Plane
- the beliefs and ideas you hold about how life works
- thought rigidity as imposed by the need for logic, reason, and understanding
The Emotional Plane
- a highly mutable response system that provides varying degrees and flavors of emotions
- conscious and unconscious feelings about the past, present, and future
- repeating emotional patterns/cycles
Physical Form/Biological Components
- your ancestral DNA lineage, including environmental 'memories'14 generations old
- epigenetics and the ability to change gene expression/ turn aspects of health on and off
- health as shaped by your lifestyle choices
- your physical body (the temporary vessel of your soul)
Subtle Body & Spiritual Essence
- The total energy system and surrounding auric field of your physical body (includes the luminous energy field, chakras, meridians, the aura, karmic data on lives lived, current soul contracts, and your creative potential)
- An indestructible essence/spirit that makes you unique
- Soul consciousness— an inherently wise, higher self always on to task to create opportunities for personal growth and personal evolution at the level of consciousness
* This aspect of self is linked to every other human being and the collective evolution process
All of these components weave together to create the matrix of who you are.
Working with the toroidal field as a foundational practice brings a conscious, intentional, and highly focused attention and awareness to your subtle body and the deeper underpinnings of what's happening not only in you, but in your life, and the Universe.
I see it as a rainbow powered energy circuit that effectively bridges the gap between the limited human mind/experience and the invisible, untapped creative potential of the Universe. Because this energy is creative, it's spiritual.
2. Is the toroidal field the actual shape of my energy field?
I don't believe in telling other people what is right or wrong for them. I will, however, provide some important considerations for you to include in the decision-making process:
- I'm not sure it matters what the actual shape of the human energy field is (although a quick Google search yields consistent results). What is of greater importance is that you regularly and directly work your subtle body or luminous energy field. The toroidal field provides a particularly helpful "system" and "structure" in which we can allow our minds a way to understand and connect with the subtle, intuitive aspect of your being. From my point of view, you can't go wrong because it all leads to self-awareness and growth.
- The toroidal field and its template for creation is highlighted over and over again in esoteric teachings including Yggdrasil (from Norse Mythology), The World Tree (from Quan Yin), and the building blocks of matter (Genesis in the Bible)
- The infinity symbol is the ancient 2D representation for the toroidal field and carries similar properties (continuous and self-balancing)
- The toroidal field is mirrored in nature and quantum physics over and over again, from our understanding of a black hole to the construct of an atom, earth's electromagnetic field, a tornado, and even the human heart.
3. Is encapsulating a good idea, ever?
I've decided that no, it's never a good idea to encapsulate and yet I recognize the need for additional tools in safeguarding one's space.
- Working with the toroidal field is an excellent place to start. Doing so provides the form and function for better commanding your energy and space, but it's certainly not everything.
- Additional interventions, tools, and techniques are recommended that address each specific layer/dimension of who you are (as detailed above). For example, employing psychic plexiglass and mirrors can be helpful in deflecting directly intrusive energies but are they never a suitable replacement for practicing healthy boundaries, honest communication, and reprioritizing commitments to ensure they reflect your truth and values.
4. I can't feel anything, what am I doing wrong?
Feeling and sensing energy is merely one pathway to intuition, not the pathway.
I recommend learning and identifying your primary sources of intuition. How you experience intuition will significantly influence how you connect to and work with your energy.
LESSON COMING SOON ON THIS. In the meantime, I encourage you to book a soul companion session for personalized instruction.
Got a question? Email me and I'll include in this post.